Monday, February 20, 2006
My kids have been out of school today. They had Friday off, too. I think I'm going to have a talk with the vacation planner at school. They get entirely too many days off. The joy of living in a hurricane state, I suppose. We start school early in case a big one blows through and we're not in school until July because of missed days.
Anyway, we've been absolute lazy slobs today. In fact, we're all still in our pj's. I've refused to work at all. Okay, I take that back. I did a tiny bit this morning, but nothing since. This new job is a monster! I thought I would have a relaxing weekend visiting my husband, but ended up meeting with the owner of the hotel where we stayed and talking business. We even went out to eat and I sent them on to the van afterwards so I could talk with the manager. Sad, I know. But I'm learning to work when the opportunity presents itself. Best part of working some this weekend? The hotel and restaurant ended up being total business write offs. heh heh. Wish the shopping I did was, too. I think business only stretches so far, though.
Mak woke up sick today. I have no idea what hit her. All I know is she pulled an exorcist first thing and has been sleeping pretty much since. I'm hoping it's either a quick 24 hour virus thingy or something she ate.
I realized that I was becoming one of those moms I have big problems with. The ones who practically sleep with their cell phones and are constantly doing "one more thing" while the kids wait impatiently. I can see how and why it happens. It's very easy. You work so hard to be a good mom, that when you get a job in addition to being a mom, you want to do the same thing in that area of your life. I gotta keep a closer eye on this.
So, we're completely shameful today. And it feels good.
*EVAH- is the southern way of saying the word ever. And spell check has huge issues with this word, too.
Sunday, February 19, 2006
So I'm driving home and started thinking.......
- Why is the speed limit 65 mph for 5 miles.....70 mph for 10...back to 65 mph. Everyone is going at least 80. Let's all get along and fix these signs, people.
- And my understanding is that the left lane is used primarily for passing slower vehicles on the right and IF this is true why on earth is that dilapidated van..held together with rust and duct tape .....blowing exhaust in my face going 60mph? IN THE LEFT LANE?
- And just how am I supposed to focus with the Wiggles blaring in my right ear while my oldest HAS to listen to this cool song on the radio LOUD and I'm trying to talk to my husband with my cell phone headset so my left ear is occupied?
- And the interstate signs are mostly in green and blue. My kids know to look for the blue signs on the right side of the road for rest areas and such. What about color blind people? Is this discrimination?
- And I-95. Such a conglomeration of sights to see. I made mention to my husband that I always pass a boat being hauled. I thought I was going to make it all the way back without seeing one. No such luck. This HUGE boat was being hauled..taking up one lane and a few hairs of another. ITS A BOAT. A BIG ONE. Put that bad boy in the water and ride it down the coast. JEESH.
- And the girls who rode across country? Twice? Without a whimper of complaint? What happened to them? I got a seven year old who had a gameboy, mini dvd player, AND 4 barbies tell me....Mom? I'm bored. Okay, baby. Pour that pain out.
These are just a few thoughts I had as I drove along. One other thought I had?
I'm glad I'm moving to be with my husband in a few months. Me going South and him going North? That's no way to be. I need someone there beside me to make these observations to. It's how it should be.
Monday, February 06, 2006
My husband? He would fix a cup first thing before he even took a decent full breath. He showed me how incredibly cool it was to just sit and drink a cup while watching headline news. I used to avoid caffiene at all costs. Wouldn't let it pollute my system as I was healthy and all that rot. Now? My husband has been gone for over a month with the Navy. (You SO don't want me to get into that one right now). I find myself getting up and fixing a pot before I do anything productive. I even bought the coffee disposable cups from the store so I could take a cup with me when I take the kids to school. I fit in even better now with all the other parents. I have a minivan with at least two car seats. I wear shades to hide the fact I have no makeup on. I put on a headband to hide the fact my hair is not up to par. And I proudly hold my coffee cup along with 95% of the parents I pass each and every morning. You will find that some of us even raise our cups to each other in the "parent salute".
I think I started drinking more coffee just as a way to stay connected with my husband. Made me feel comforted knowing that he was doing the same thing. My quota is no more than 3 cups a day. In the morning time...you know...just to the get the motivation to kick in.
Now if I could just get rid of the heart palpitations I get around noon.