Monday, February 13, 2012

What my new teenager did...

Tonight I was cooking supper and had Makenna in the kitchen helping me. In fact, The Man and I were out running errands when I called the house to have her start cooking some vegetables. I decided to make chicken and rice when we got home since it's quick and easy. Now, that's a good Southern dish that I have discovered that many outside of The Circle have not heard of nor do they eat. It's a simple filling dish of chicken, chicken broth, and rice, with salt and pepper, all cooked up in a pot. I don't cook it often, but my people enjoy it.

 I can't have rice due to the surgery. While I was getting the stuff on the stove going, I  decided I would boil some eggs and make myself some egg salad. Tasty and full of protein.

I got a small pot out of the cabinet and handed it to Makenna. I said, "I'm going to make some egg salad so please put me five eggs in the pot". (I can't eat but one egg but knew the rest would want some.)

After a few minutes I heard this odd sound I should not have been hearing.

I turned around and there she was.

My child.

Cracking an egg into the pot.

"What are you doing?!?" said I.

"Putting five eggs in the pot like you said!" she replied.

I walked over to the kitchen island to see four yolks floating in the pot and a fifth one about to join them.

I had to bend over I was laughing so hard.

Poor baby doesn't even know how to boil an egg.

She defended herself loudly in that I didn't specify exactly how I wanted the eggs in the pot. I was still laughing.

I finally explained the whole "boil the eggs and peel them and chop them for egg salad" deal to her. We are now clear in that if I give her a frying pan? Break the eggs. If I give her a pot? Then put the whole entire egg inside.

It took a little longer, but I had my egg salad. We did it the right way that time.

No comments: