Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I do believe we've struck gold

Yes, we've struck gold, friends. I'm so freaking worn out from this pool, it's not even funny. It took almost 5 days to get Big Boy completely filled. I went on a frenzy last Friday and off I went to Lowe's. I bought a picnic table...sand for the sand box, tiki torches. Dang, I bought so much stuff, I have NO clue what is really out there. We spent Friday evening getting chemicals right and the pump running. We were all shaking in anticipation for Saturday! Saturday I have my son, neice, and nephew (girls were at their dad's house fri-sat). Have I told you how much I hate being outside? I am truly not an outdoorsy type person. It seriously just isn't my thing. humph. I spent from 9 a.m. Saturday to 10:00 p.m. that night outside. No lie. The three kids went next door to Nana's for a nap and still I toiled outside. I stained the lovely picnic table and would just have to stop and envision all the good times. I got fried. sigh. I was so careful with the kids..slathering them down with high SPF sunscreen so they wouldn't burn and here I was...with a lovely pre-cancerous glow about me. I just forgot to cover myself. We have already gotten our money' worth out that pool. Today found us out there from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. There were 8 kids ranging in ages: 1,2,3,5,6,6,6,11. My fellow amigo (SIL) and I pulled tag team duties. The babies wouldn't stay in for long and so one would get out with them whilst they played in the sand box and teeny tot pool and the other would get to cool it in the pool with the rest of the crew. It was a wonderful situation. And guess what. I got fried. Again. DANGIT. I promise I put on sunscreen at least 3 times!!! and it was SPF 40 or 45. I just can't believe this. I am so glowing this evening and can just feel those skin cancer cells growing. I'm already paranoid about all the tanning I've done as a teen and 20 something. Now I'm 34 and just as bad as I was at age 15. No wait. I used sunscreen and not Hawaiian Tropic TANNING OIL. omg....can you believe we put that stuff on our bodies?? Especially those of us who are "Original White Girls"???? Sure, I would end up with a tan...eventually. sigh ...again.

Anyway, we are loving summer and the kids are passing out when they hit air conditioned doorways. My SIL ( who lives down the road a small piece) said my nephew was asleep before they pulled out of the driveway to go home. She sits him inside the doorway so that she could return to the vehicle to retrieve another child. She told him....take off your suit and put on a pull-up and go lie down. He takes off his suit where he stands and falls to the floor....naked....asleep. Same with my neice. She managed to get on a pair of panties before falling out in deep sleep. That's what I'm talking about. Keep them busy...keep them active...make them sleep! Now I need to get that to work at my house.

My father accepted his wild print shorts with dignity and wore them with pride and very white legs!! I have not seen the man in shorts in 20 years but wear them he did and in the pool he went. It was only one time, but I feel sure there will be more.

My son no longer looks related to me. His tiny bit of Mexican and Mayan blood is coming through and he is so dark and handsome I am in awe. And this happened with a SPF of 50!!! I will have to beat the girls off with a cattle prod when he is a teenager. Girls do go silly over a good tan.

And I hope all this paddling around will tone something I own and/or move an inch or two or I will be pissed. Tanned, but pissed.


No comments: