Monday, January 11, 2010

New All Around

Hi there! Can you believe we're already starting the second full week in January? I personally feel like it was just Thanksgiving last week!

The Edge has now officially relocated to a new place! The time period between Thanksgiving and New Year's was like a hurricane, tornado, and tidal wave all rolled into one. Once we got the new house deal rolling, life took on a new gear that I didn't even know existed!

I'm going to stop a second now to ask you out there in Internet Land: Do you ever just wish that real life would stop so you can catch your breath and take care of a few things?

That's where I was and where I am today. Christmas was still going to happen no matter what was going on in my life at the moment. The Man closed on the new Edge on the 21st of December. I packed the kids up and all our Christmas goodness and headed here to spend a night before heading to South Carolina for the holiday. We had a short short stay there before heading back to "old" Edge to pack it all up.

The 28th found us greeting packers into our home to start wrapping it all up. I was so grateful The Man had the time off to be there to help out. Apparently, all the running and going tried to catch up with me and I honestly thought I was fighting the flu. Neighbor Debbie (God Bless her!!) came out to keep us company whilst the packers packed it all up. She is a veteran mover in the military world and I trusted that she would keep a sharp eye on things and help a sister out if it didn't look right. Tuesday was a hard day. I was literally in a stupor I was so sick. I got to the point that they packed up my bedroom (left the bed). I found my way between boxes to that glorious bed where I passed clean out until the next morning.

Wednesday, the movers showed up to load us up and carry us away. Whew. They worked like dogs to get that truck loaded with our worldly possessions and we were right behind them cleaning since we wanted to check out of base housing that day. Neighbor Debbie is a beast at working and I tried like heck to keep up with her but I just didn't have it in me. I was fighting like crazy just to keep upright and focused. USS Retired and her family stopped by on their way to an afternoon movie and we were just all teary and junk because dangit, leaving friends just isn't right.

Neighbor Debbie kept swearing up and down we weren't going to be able to check out that day. I just shrugged and said it was worth a shot. She finally had to get home to her family but we were kind of almost but not sure we might would make it with checking out. The movers kicked it into 6th gear and so did we. It was a race against the clock.

USS Retired and family showed back up to pick up where Neighbor Debbie left off. There was mopping going on, hauling stuff to vehicles, and lots of kid's giggles going around. The movers had packed my cooler on the truck and were gone by this time. Uh oh. That meant Mizz Retired got to take alot of food home with her!

We scored. Check out happened without incident and we were cleared from living there ever again. I walked through each room one more time and just thanked the Lord for providing us with a happy home in that place...if only for a short time.

I have to pause a second here to make sure you all understand how much I appreciate what Neighbor Debbie and Mizz Retired did for me and my family. There is no way we would have been able to do what we did without their help. They brush me off when I keep thanking them but I just love those gals and am so very proud to call them my friends!

It was decided that we would eat a hot meal at the Barrel of Crackers before hitting the road for a 4-5 hour drive to our new home. We all just needed to sit down a minute and catch our breath. Miss Retired and her family joined us and it was a festive laughing occasion. We had to regret one more time that we didn't find each other sooner.

That drive took every bit I had left in me, Internets. Paige tried her best to keep me company but had to doze off now and again. Makenna was riding shotgun with The Man and the poor thing had worked harder that day than in her whole entire life so she was out like a light. My husband and I kept calling each other to check in and make sure the other was functioning. The Boy was watching a favorite movie when he finally gave in and fell asleep.

We arrived at our new home at 2 a.m. I don't hardly remember coming in and falling into a deep sleep on the aerobed we had left here. It wasn't a long sleep as the movers were showing up at 7 a.m. They wanted to unload so they could be with family as it was New Year's Eve.

Tired of reading yet? I lived this and I'm tired of reading it all!!

Suffice it to say that our New Year's Eve was spent in our new home surrounded by mountains of boxes. We slept in our own beds that night and decided to just take the next day off and try to recover.

I am sick of boxes. I feel like I unpack at least ten a day and there's no end in sight! The kitchen is the heart of the home to me and I feel like it is mostly done. I don't feel like this is home because there are none of my pictures on the walls as of yet. I need to get a feel for things first. I don't want to go putting holes in a wall and the next day change my mind and move whatever is hanging there. The wall colors are a neutral selling color and I really really want to paint and make this place my own. I have been scouring sites for ideas for paint and decorating . If you were to call and ask me what I think of a decorating/paint idea? I can picture it and tell you what I think. But, for my house? Eh, not so much. Crazy, I know.

About this place where we live. It. Is. Cold. Dear Joseph and the baby lambs is it cold. I feel like I've moved to this whole new region of the country instead of higher up in the state of Georgia. I miss smelling the sea air and birds that hang out at the coast. I have never been this chilled in my entire life. Truly, I haven't. Some locals have informed me that this is NOT the normal temps for this area. I'm going to take their word for it and pray this is a fluke that happens every five years or so.

I got the kids registered in their new schools and started. The Boy is having some issues adjusting, but we anticipated that happening. He's riding the bus for the first time and is totally enjoying the freedom of no seat belt. Makenna is going along like she always does and enjoying her new busy schedule. She's had an issue with some little snotty girl making comments and Paige and I keep offering advice. Makes me want to go to the school and snatch this kid up and cut her butt. Paige is rolling right along in her new high school. She's got a vacation semester taking half credits. She may have to hit up summer school to get back on track with how their credit system works, but that's no biggie. She'll just end up with way more credits than needed when graduation time hits.

I am glad to say, though, that some things never change. The past week, I have cooked supper every night because we were just flat out tired of eating out. (Plus, that gets right pricey after a while!) Same table, new house, our usual Dinner Theater! By night two of our family supper, the kids were back in form and entertaining us. Paige discovered a plastic wine glass while unpacking and has taken to drinking "bubbly" Ginger Ale out of it with her meal. It makes her happy and fancy, so who am I to crush easy happiness?

We are adjusting to this new life. I shall be asking opinions and such in the upcoming weeks because I'm ready to put my stamp on this place and make it my own. Err...our own?

You all try to keep warm and know that no one will judge you if you have to wear socks to bed. I'm just saying.


Mellie said...

I totally understand the whirlwind, yet I'm so thankful for the peaceful moments that pop up unexpectedly. I hope you have many peaceful moments as you settle in. I don't have an idea in my head for my house so I'm STILL staring at blank walls 2 months later. And just so you know, I've been wearing socks to bed since we moved here!

Missy said...

Hope, I am so happy for you guys! I can't wait to see pics when you start painting and hanging pics!

So very excited for you all!

Krys72599 said...

Oh, yay, Miss Hope is back!!!
Relocated or not, the great thing is you're all together again! It must be absolutely freakin' wonderful to have The Man home every day! How easy it is to get used to that in between sub assignments, but to have him retire and get yanked out of the house by a couple of hundred miles - I can't imagine!
Count me in on the decorating panel - would LOVE to give you my two cents! It's alwasy so much easier to decorate someone else's home that it is to commit to a color in your own kitchen!
And I'm with you - until my family photos are on the walls, it just ain't home! (That, btw, is my biggest objection when I watch those HGTV shows, Designed to Sell, or whatever - I hate depersonalizing a home!)

Roni said...

Well Im in the same boat too-almost 4 months & I cant seem to figure out wall color in this house..something Ive never had trouble with! Must be a retirement

The family said...

WOOOOT - wooot! Cant wait to see pictures of you all snuggled into your home!
Its still Hope on the Edge - just a different edge (lol)!

andria said...

Girl, our walls are still neutral and not much has been hung. But it's home, took a while to feel that way, but it's definitely home.

Can't wait to see pictures.

And I am praying for Makenna. You know I don't like that kind of stuff. I'm praying for the other girl to get a clue too.

Paige said...

Ya'll . . Just so ya'll know . . I have told her if she needs to she can call on the Almighty Powers of the Crazy White Girl that is her sister . I am a Southern Belle and as I'm sure you all who are also SBs know , I can play nice nasty rather nicely and have a few pointers I will be randomly throwing in to conversation as my Baby Sister gets older and needs them . I love that girl . I can mess with her , anyone else ? Negative .

The Man on the Edge said...

My love, you forgot to mention that we had to spend an hour and a half in the emergency room on New Year's Eve after the movers got these 300+ boxes dumped into our house. (Nothing serious for those of you wondering).

It is good to be able to come home to my family every night instead of a motel room. And, as we continue to get settled, I will recomence my blog as well. Just seems like too much is going on lately.

Lishak said...

Glad you all got moved alright. Moving is such a chore! Hope you can get all the boxes unpacked soon. :)