Sunday, June 07, 2009

Catch Up Thoughts

Since I was battling the addiction at the time, I didn't get to post anything about Memorial Day. We went to church the Sunday before and I have to tell you, it was just the best morning for me.

I'm sure you realize we live in a military town. The churches here are very supportive of the men and women who serve our country- past and present. That morning was no exception.

The Man and I were sitting there before service watching the people filter in and find seats...chatting with those we knew. I saw this elderly gentleman come down the aisle with a snazzy red sports coat on. On it, was a patch signifying his having been a Marine. His gray hair was slicked back with little tufts sticking out here and there. The elderly women greeted him with smiles and hugs. I started grinning because there was four elderly women dressed in their Sunday finest....fawning over this gentleman. Hugging him, smiling ever so sweetly, literally gushing. There he was, basking in the adoration and soaking it in...preening like he was fresh out of boot camp. You know what they say: Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Our choir did the Armed Forces medley, where the songs are sung from each branch of service. If you've never seen this, you have truly missed a treat. I've seen it once before and it never fails to touch me, make my chin tremble, and bring a tear to the eye. As each branch's song is sung, it is asked that those have served or is serving for that branch to stand up and be recognized.

Oh my.

I can't tell you how amazing it is to see men and women stand up when "their song" is being sung. To see young people in their first years of service, to my husband about to hit twenty years, to the elderly hanging onto the pew in front of them for balance (yet proudly standing) just touches my entire heart.

Before I married my husband, the military was something I knew about. I knew that many of the guys headed to Myrtle Beach and we gals sure loved to say hello to them when passing them on the Boulevard back in the day.

To live with someone on a daily basis who has dedicated their lives to service of our county has been an eye opener. It has made my love for my country grow by leaps and bounds. We spouses of active duty members are told all the time that we, too, serve our country. I guess so. I don't feel like I've done anything special. I love The Man. The Man loves God, his Country, and me. (I promise the list is much longer.) I'm kind of hoping that I'll move up a notch come the end of the year. We'll see.

I apologize for this post being late, but I don't think it hurts to remember those who have served our Country and gave their all. I honestly don't think one day is enough to cover it.

All I know is that it was a very special Sunday morning where God and Country co-existed beautifully in a Baptist Church in a small coastal town.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Ooh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE when they do that! I always get teary when I see everyone proudly stand when their anthem is played. And I'm not even from a military family. I can only imagine the pride you feel when your husband stands.

Michelle said...

never too late to post one like this...with all the bad and wrong going on...thinking about all of those that have served and still are...makes me proud to be an American!