Saturday, July 05, 2008

Life Lesson #27

Life lessons. Gotta love 'em.


This particular lesson belongs to Kenna. She can own it and learn from it.


Last night, Mrs. M. and myself did not go watch the fireworks. Mrs. M. is still recovering from her sinusitis and I opted to sit at home with her and relax.


The crew got in late due to a delay in the fireworks display. Kenna come crying that she was STARVING. I told her to get a small something and take it on to bed. She decided to cook a toaster strudel in the microwave. Which was fine. She's done this a few times and has had success.


This was the first time she put it on a styrofoam plate.


And hit the 2 minute button.


And walked away.


By the time we (in the living room) heard the *ding* indicating that it was finished....the awful smell of something burning was rolling through the house.


We ran to the kitchen to find it thick in smoke. Windows were thrown open. The patio door was flung open. Fans were cranked up.


Have you any idea how bad styrofoam smells when it burns?


Once I saw the remains of her strudel, my heart did a little skip. That had potential to turn ugly.


Life Lesson #27: Do NOT evah put styrofoam in the microwave. Especially for two minutes.



Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury? I give you ............




Exhibit A. What do you think? Lesson learned?

8 comments:

Sam, Missy and Alex said...

WOW! Thank goodness noone was hurt!

chelle's winks said...

That's nasty...poor Mak!

Monogram Queen said...

Oh dear you really have to be careful with the microwave!
I think burnt popcorn is the worst and hardest smell to get rid of.

Pikes Pickles said...

Oh man. Good luck getting rid of that smell. I have to laugh though at what point did you think to yourself...."self, I need to get me a camera to take a picture of this with my internets?"

You know your a blogger when ...

Your kitchen stinks and just nearly burned up, your child is still starving and your looking for a camera.

Lishak said...

LOL...looks exactly like my cooking! Hope you're able to get rid of the smell!

C said...

Oh, my!

When I was little, my little sister put crackers and cheese in the microwave with my mom's china plate... For 2 1/2 minutes. The cheese cracked the plate. Oy. I think she was about 5 at the time.

Gotta be careful with those things!!

Denise said...

Oh. Ew. Not good. I think I can smell it from here!

kikaruu said...

Yeah, I've done the same thing, and the results were the same. My mom was forgiving, thankfully.