Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Proof is in the Pictures

Back in the day, about six months ago, The Boy went to the dentist for the first time. That was an experience I don't think I shall ever forget. Being the cool blogging Mom that I am, I took pictures of this first visit.



Imagine my trepidation around 5 weeks ago when the dentist office called and said it was that time. I deflated like a balloon thinking I just didn't want to experience that again, but knowing I would because I believe in oral hygiene. Why, oh why, couldn't I be one of those parents who could care less about teeth and keeping them healthy???? Alas, I am not a non-caring parent, so I knew we would fight the battle of taking him to get his teeth cleaned. I put a reminder in my phone and proceeded to forget about it until this weekend when the reminder alarm sounded. Crap it. I'm sure you can picture my smiling face when The Man informed me he wouldn't be able to go because Tuesday is when he has his weekly meeting he has to attend. I've given birth three times, so I knew I could do what needed to be done.



We woke up yesterday morning to me building up the excitement. Yeah, right. When I told The Boy he was going to the dentist, he replied, "No I not." When I said he had to let them look at his teeth and see if they were okay, he replied, "No I not." Lovely. The dread crept in over my soul right then and there and I just KNEW it was gonna be another experience to blog about.



For those of you who joined us here at the Edge recently and for those of you who are old like me and tend to forget? This is where you want to click to see how it all went down last time. You'll understand when I say all those involved broke a sweat. Some even did some very loud screaming. I'm pretty sure there was a torn shirt somewhere in there. My girls even saw a flash of daylight from him pulling my shirt in a panic. Now do you see why the last thing I wanted to do was go to the dentist?!? I couldn't even get him to sit in the stupid chair last time.



Miss Heather came to get us and we headed back for a cleaning. She took both Mak and The Boy at the same time. Nice. She cleaned Mak first while Vitt stood beside the chair and watched very closely. VERY closely. Miss Heather talked to him the whole entire time explaining what she was doing and Mak was doing her sisterly best to smile encouragement with her mouth wide open.


Then it was his turn. Oh boy. Here we go.






Imagine my surprise when he actually got in the chair. You know I couldn't whip that camera phone out quick enough to snap a picture to send to Dad.....because I knew he'd find it hard to believe without proof.(The shirt reads "Good Looks Run In The Family"...heh heh heh)





Can you believe this?!?! I was there and am looking at the picture right now and STILL can't believe it. That Miss Heather talked to him the whole time and praised him like nobody's business. I made sure to find out if we can request her from here on out. Not a problem.



Miss Heather was so confident in The Boy that she suggested we try and get x-ray's while he was cooperating. I just looked at her and said..."You sure like to push the envelope, Woman." And by golly!!! She got him to do x-rays too!!! What is up with this?? Is this my child? It sure looks like him, but I can't be positive. The dentist gave us high praise for having beautiful teeth. No cavities were found in either mouth and we were told to keep up the good work. *pats self on back*

Last visit The Boy wasn't allowed to get a sticker or a prize. Because I don't reward froot loop behaviour. This time? He got TWO stickers and a prize. He scored bigtime. I left that office with my nerves intact and have told anyone who will listen that he was PERFECT. I could not have asked for a better child. I feel like I won a lottery.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

That's good news. I bet letting him watch Mak get hers done helped. I hope Kyle will cooperate like this in a couple of months. Believe me I know what you went through the 1st time and it's not fun.

Abby loves to brush her teeth and reminds me to do it. I hope that will continue.

Good going Vitt...you must be growing up!

Anonymous said...

way to go vitt!

Krys72599 said...

Didn't the Boy recently celebrate a b'day? I believe, Miss Hope, he's a BIG BOY now, not a baby...
Of *course* he can handle a little trip to the dentist...
Go, Vitt!

Mrs. Em said...

Awesome job, Vitt! I'm proud of you for being such a strong boy! Keep up the good work!

Sugar. said...

whew! Glad it all went smoothly. Nice job Vitt, he's definitely a big boy now.

disfamof3 said...

WAY TO GO VITT...
And does this wonderful dentist have a spot for Erinlee ? I am dreading it but I am showing her these pics to encourage her :)

Hermes said...

There is nothing like victory! Except free stickers and prizes. Sugar still cries at the dentist. Nice work big guy!

Stefany said...

Okay, I love the last picture with the happy face! What a cute kid!

andria said...

Good for him!

So big!

Adam has to go for the first time in May. Not looking forward to it.