Thursday, August 07, 2008

Aye, That's my Girl

My girl is loving her some ROTC-Navy Style. I would have never thought she would have to be honest. She has thrown herself into it with all her might and her perfectionist self is doing whatever it takes.


She brought home her new uniforms that she will be wearing on Thursdays. Being the stubborn person I am, I told her she is on her own getting them straight and whatnot. Does that stop her? Not hardly. Now, don't get all riled up. I am not capable of hemming pants nor do I know what to tell her to get it all straight.


She had The Man take her to W-mart to get the stuff you can use and iron with to make your hem(Stitch Witchery?). She had The Man put them at the right length and she hemmed them herself. We didn't have a ruler to help her measure, but we had a tape measure.


Midnight still saw her getting that uniform ready for school today. I went to bed and left her and The Man to it.



Here I stood firm that I wasn't going to support her in this endeavor. I can't say that I do now in the way that she needs me to. But, I support her perseverance and determination to do a good job. How can I argue with that? I can't.


I can't say I'm all about tucking in the shirt that tight. I tried to talk Paige into blousing out the shirt a little bit this morning and Britt (who is Deb's daughter, extra kid of mine on occasion, pal of Paige's, fellow ROTC companion, and the one I keep grits for in my pantry) informed me quickly that she cannot "blouse" (and said with disdain also) as the line has to be straight. I shrugged and said that was shame because not all people were meant to tuck clothes in that tight. Know what I mean? Paige informed me I was being mean because I was smiling the whole time I was taking pictures. I wasn't being mean. I'm just so proud of her for standing up for what she wants to do, no matter what the obstacle is. Right now the obstacle is me.


It was a pure joy to watch The Man work with her last night. He helped her prepare her uniform and I get to sit back at the table while they talk "shop" during supper. This might be the thing that bonds them good. This program that I don't want her to do might be the one thing to cement their relationship as father and daughter.


I am through arguing. If she keeps her grades up, she can march all she wants. She can do a thousand push-ups and I won't blink an eye. I will listen to her excited stories about something new she's learned about the Navy.


Sail on, Baby Girl.




The Chief is a tailor in his spare time.





I never knew there were so many rules on how to wear a belt. This is "How to Wear a Military Belt 101".


The Chief irons clothes like nobody's business. Is it just me or does it look like he got suckered into doing the job and she's not paying that much attention?



Don't forget to shine those shoes! Chief let her use his handy dandy electric shoe shining thingy. Note he is keeping a close on her so she doesn't break his toy!


Ready for inspection and pissed at Mama for making her stop to take a picture. That's my girl and I am so very proud of her.

9 comments:

Stefany said...

Oh heck.
Its for real. Shes not backing down for you Momma.

Miss Hope said...

Tell me about it, Stef. I do love that child of mine.

Wendy said...

It's really good that she and her Dad have something to bond over. Most girls that age can't talk to their dad about anything. I didn't make it two weeks in NJROTC, by the way.

I left you something on my blog. =)

Anonymous said...

Shouldnt your heading have been "Aye Aye, That's my Girl" J/K. She did look snappy this morning. Kinda makes ur heart melt when you see young kids in uniform and so proud to be in it too. I know the first time I saw Britt in her uniform I almost cried. She will do great things I just know it.

disfamof3 said...

PAIGE YOU ROCK GIRL!! I am so proud to see you standing up for what you believe in and what you want to do *sorry Hope...It makes me happy seeing her taking pride in this :)*
It is wonderful seeing that she is taking pride in making sure the uniform is right.
GO CHANGE THE WORLD PAIGE!! I'LL VOTE FOR YOU!! :)

Stefany said...

Ummm Hope ?

Looks like your out numbered? If you can't beat em you better join em. She did look awful cute in her uniform.

Monogram Queen said...

Wow she's going to do just fine!

Joe and Samantha said...

I did AFJROTC in High School. It really molded who I am and the type of sub wife I am. It was a great experience. Good for her!

Also-I wish now that I had put something funny in my list- I love your movie thing!

ha-ha
Samantha

Missy said...

Way to go Paige! She looks kick-ass in her uniform! Don't have to worry about anyone giving her lip! Ever!

Hope, she looks like you are raising a fine young leader!