Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Birthday Boy


Today is Fred's birthday! And instead of making it a good morning for him, I was threatening Makenna's butt because she's lost a jazz shoe and I refuse to pay for another pair and if she doesn't find it, I will literally cut her tail because I bought a bag for her to keep them in and even monogrammed the bag so she would always know it's hers and........



Suffice it to say I'm not thrilled with my middle child at the moment.


Back to The Man.


I have known my husband for almost 7 years now. That, in itself, is very hard for me to believe. And I STILL like him, too. Amazing. Alot has happened in the past seven years, but I want to focus on him for a minute. Shall we?


When I met Fred, he had a touch of gray at the temples. It was sexy and cool and I liked it alot. Now? He's pretty much working on ALL gray and little bit of black. And that's okay. I've seen him go from being a bachelor with no worries, to a Dad of two then three. I saw him just step into those shoes with no hesitation whatsoever. Well, none that I saw or that he let me see. He's still a freaking math genius who won't keep up with budget. He's quite handy to have in the store when I'm trying to figure out what 15% off is. He can whip it right up in that noggin of his.


The other night I was laying there going to sleep and got to thinking about things. I have friends. I have alot of friends. There are those who are mainly acquaintances. There are those that I'm working on establishing friendships that will hopefully last a long time. There are those who mean the entire world to me and I know that I can count on no matter what. There are those who go far enough back with me that we will be friends til our dying day because we know too much on each other. (you know who you are!)


Then I got to thinking. When something goes on in my life, no matter if it's good or bad...who is it I want to talk to first? Fred. Who listens to me talk about me and acts interested every single time? Fred. Who makes me believe I am the most wonderful person in the world? Fred. I would sometimes hear those women who would say that their husbands were their best friends. I would snort and laugh and say "yeah, right." I apologize to all those women out there I laughed at.


I can laugh with Fred. I can cry with Fred. I can voice my opinions (which I do frequently) and he listens. He doesn't agree most of the time, but he doesn't put me down for how I feel. I guess what I've heard all my life is true. When you find the right partner...it all just falls into place. I am content and happier than I ever thought I could be with this man. Why, he's even promised to hang around til all is said and done. Through wrinkles, walkers, and our kids being teenagers.


Happy Birthday, Honey! I love the man you are, the father you've shown you can be, and I can't wait to grow old with you.



Oh, and please don't go and write something all sappy-like that'll make me cry and everyone else who reads this gag because we're all lovey-dovey and as Paige would put it..."Ewwwwww, old people love."




p.s. And, yes, we did go get your birthday present last night. Like I would admit it to you. You'd drive me crazy trying to guess what it is. And if you discovered what it is, you better act all surprised and excited when you finally get it or I'll be mad.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you my love.

Anonymous said...

HOPE-Oh please, you made ME cry. The hormonal pregnant woman. Don't you know I read your blog?

FRED-Duuuuuude, y'er gettin' old. Just kidding. Hey, at least you still look good. Keep kickin'.