Monday, May 21, 2007

Feeling Better

First off, I'd like to give out a HUGE THANK YOU for those of you who took the time to comment on my last post. I think I read them all at least a dozen times. Paige read them all a few times, too, and she got past being a teenager for a few minutes to express that she, too, appreciated each of you caring enough to post a few words of comfort and support. Sometimes it's hard for a child to realize that the parents have had their own share of heartache. We're automatically old in their eyes, so how could we possibly know what it's like to be 13?? Thing is....I remember ALL too well what it's like to be that age. I kind of feel like I'm living it again through my child. If I could only get her to not make the same mistakes I made my own self...we'd be cooking with fire then, People.

I am officially feeling better. I didn't want to harp on it too much, but I was sick for two weeks. It was a run-in with a stomach virus, an inopportune encounter with a cat, and dealing with smoke for days straight (due to the wildfires). I went to the doctor last week (Wednesday). It did not go well at all. I originally was going because I've had an issue with heartburn the past few months. The kind that sits in your chest and makes you feel like you're gonna have a heart attack. It wakes you up at night to make you run frantically through the house to the medicine cabinet, bumping into furniture in the dark, so you can get to ANYTHING that might provide some relief. And I watch television. I was educatin' myself on all this stuff that could be wrong with me. Not to mention g*ogle searches that usually end up saying you're eat up with cancer or will have a mortal heart attack in the next five minutes. When I talked about it with my mother, she insisted I get seen by a doctor. She's paranoid, too.

My brother and Daddy have issues of their own that are similar. I'm putting a little bit of their business out there and hope they don't mind. Trust me...if my brother minds, my Sis-in-Law will be on the phone shortly telling me to come edit this thing. And I will. Anyway, my brother was diagnosed with G.E.R.D. a few years ago. I remember how miserable he was after he ate and how he had so many tests run and finally put on medication. My father has acid reflux and a high-hernia that really gives him a fit from time to time. I remember growing up and he would rush outside to be sick because food just wasn't settling right with his system. And I was so glad it didn't affect ME like that. Until recently. After telling the doctor my family's medical history, she nodded very solemnly. She was skipping all those tests and treating me for G.E.R.D. Since there's a diagnosis in a close family member (sibling or parent), it was highly likely I, too, had that same malady.

I now have relief that I didn't have before. Well, I contribute alot of that to Diet Coke. It has saved mine and Fred's life. Apparently, the carbonated drink line will force you to burp, and therefore, relieve that bad pressure in your chest. I spoke with my brother at length last week about how he handles the issue and got his advice on what I could do. We had a six minute conversation, Internets! That's like a record for him! He's not a phone talker by nature.

I'm finally past the sneezing, runny nose, fever, messed up stomach.....and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And did I mention she gave me a kickin' cough medicine? I was out of the good stuff. I told her what I wanted/needed and, by golly, she gave it to me. Mama said she did it to get me out of her hair. Whatever works. All I know is I better head to bed within 15 minutes of taking it or I will be falling down messed up. Yeah....good stuff.

This past Saturday found us wanting to explore our surroundings. Jaime joined us as we drove and looked and tried to see exactly what there is to do around this place and near by. We found the best place to eat. We drove by...turned around and gave it a try. I'm giving you the link so you can see the awesome crab cakes I got to eat. Fred got tuna steak, and while I'm not crazy about tuna, it was just amazing. Paige got coconut shrimp that was better than any I've ever tasted. Click and take a peek!

http://www.barbara-jeans.com/menu.html


So that's an update on the Edge. We're all feeling better and obviously eating well!

1 comment:

Mrs. Em said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better! Yay for good meds!! :)