Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Present From a Friend

A MOTHER'S PRAYER
Dear Lord, it's such a hectic day,
With little time to stop and pray,
For life's been anything but calm
Since You called me to be a Mom.
Running errands, matching socks,
Building dreams with wooden blocks,
Cooking, cleaning, finding shoes
And other stuff that children lose,
Fitting lids on bottled bugs,
Wiping tears and giving hugs,
A stack of last week's mail to read
So where's the quiet time I need?
Yet, when I steal a moment, Lord,
Just at the sink or ironing board,
To ask the blessings of Your grace,
I see then, in my small one's face,
That you have blessed me all the while
And I stoop to kiss that precious smile.
My friend, Michelle T., sent me this in an email yesterday. She said when she saw this, she thought of me. ME! When someone takes the time to actually sit down and compose an email just for you, it's special, People. Our lives are so busy these days, just finding a minute can be a difficult thing to do. The last line in the poem sums it all up for me. My son may be a "spirited"** child all of the time, but he can be the sweetest thing I've ever seen when he climbs behind me in the computer chair and wraps his arms around my neck and almost chokes me to death trying to turn my head so he can kiss me and tell me he loves me. I won't have that for long, you know. Soon, he'll be too cool to kiss Mama and will be making his own way in this big world of ours. Makenna still curls up beside me on the couch. Especially when Ghost Whisperer comes on. That show scares her to death, but she's addicted to it. Not to mention she usually has to sleep on the couch near our bedroom on Friday nights afterwards. Paige is a different sort. She's not too cool to love her Mama yet. She still shows public affection with hugs and "I love you's", BUT she won't let me take her to the salon to get her eyebrows done because I might embarrass her and that place is wayyyy beyond cool. She has to hang with the neighbor upstairs to do that. Whatever.
Thanks, Michelle, for thinking of me. I miss my home, family, and friends so much. Small things like this sure helps. More than you know.
** I have a friend who calls Vitt spirited. I think that's the kindest thing that's been said about him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoot, Paige still won't tell me she loves me, unless she slips. And that isn't anywhere near often enough. I know Vitt is a hard head, but, he did come by it honest. I only hope that the thought of growing old together can be some consolation to the kids growing up. I LOVE YOU more than I could ever tell you.

DaBlairs said...

Girl, I'm not sure if your post or your hubby's reply made me cry, but boy did y'all get the waterworks going! I hope you have a very Happy Mother's Day